Think you know “the ropes”? The Sterling Rope Company has a great 16 page technical manual (.pdf file). Check this link and learn a few tricks.
(It's a 6 MB file, be patient on the download, it may take a few seconds.)
Learn about . . .
- The difference between S twist and Z twist
- Details of rope construction
- The differences in manufacturing process between a static and dynamic rope
- The five requirements of UIAA rope testing
- The dramatic loss of strength that happens to a wet rope
- The two chemicals you should ALWAYS avoid getting on your rope
- The Word on marking your rope with permanent (Sharpie) pens